Section65 is rather similar to the previous one Section 64: Reckless or Dangerous Driving. However looking closer into the section, you will be able to spot the difference.
Lets take a look at the sections again:
Section 65 : Driving without due care or reasonable consideration
If any person drives a motor vehicle on a road —
(a)without due care and attention; or
- NOTION OF SPEED: Section 64 seems to suggest some sort of higher speed in driving. Reckless has a sense of rash and impulse, short burst of action. When the speed is higher the level of danger is also higher, casualty will be more severe.
- LEVEL OF CARE: Those guilty of Section 64 are more totally oblivious to the other road users and just anyhow drive or ride. Section 65 committers are more like blocking the way or being an obstruction to the flow of traffic.
- SENTENCE SEVERITY: As can see those guilty of section 64 will face harsher charges than those who are just section 65. Most of the injured cases are under section 64.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO
The two sections can be combined with other charges depending on the nature of your case. Therefore do be very careful on the roads.
- KEEP ALERT ON THE ROADS: There were some cases where drivers are not careful and focus on the wrong traffic light signals. This will come under Section 65 where the driver is inconsiderate to other road users. Always be very careful when you are driving. If you are taking drowsy medicine or on alcohol, please do not go on the roads.
- KEEP THE HANDPHONES AWAY: They are highly distracting and can cause you to lose focus and get into an accident. Actually under section 65B, motorists are totally NOT allowed to be using any hand held devices while driving. The punishment for such is a fine not exceeding $2,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to both.
- KEEP TRACK OF THE SPEED: Because if you are caught speeding and at the same time doing some ” acrobatic” stunts on the roads, you can be charged again for reckless driving on top of the speeding. No point getting yourself into such a rut.
Remember taking care and keeping close to the rules is important as a driver or rider. To you it may seem nothing but if anything should happen, you are actually causing detriment to the other road users.
Leaving you a video on youtube, remember the vehicle is a machine, don’t let it control you!